Saturday, October 10, 2009

Three weeks in

I have just finished a three week contract at BIAD; Birmingham Institute of Art and Design at Birmingham City University. I left with a box of chocolates, a thank you card, a warm glow and a boost of confidence. In that time I've had 2 interviews and I'm waiting for the result of the last one. It's weird how much you can love being a happy little administrator with no money and no responsibility. It was a lovely crowd in the faculty office and I'll miss them lots. We had a busy enrolment period and an open day and I met loads of people, made friends and generally felt at home but all good things must come to an end.
The interview was for a marketing role for a company that is actually part of the Home Office, and I'm due to hear the result of that this wee. Tomorrow I find myself going to an Assessment Centre for a potential job in a huge financial services company and Thursday I have an interview for a PA job at a large Union. I've also been long-listed for a marketing job in a university and have to put together a project for submission by Tuesday. Meanwhile I'm being put forward for about 6 other jobs, to be honest I'm just keeping an open mind and trying not to lose track! The list I made two weeks ago is now hopelessly out of date! They weren't kidding when they said looking for a job is a full time job in itself. In between taking calls today I have finally painted our bedroom meaning at last at the weekend we're hoping to choose some carpet and put the blasted rewiring we had done behind us; it's nearly a year ago so it's about time. I have also painted the fireplace, cleaned the windows, cooked loads and made homemade rice pudding, yum. I've not wanted to keep still really, and not having to be at work has been ace in terms of allowing me to crack on with a few chores. Still it's only been 2 working days since I finished work and I'm a-hankering for a new challenge (not to mention some money) so hopefully the next one isn't far away.
Yesterday was fun... I went to the butchers 2 Saturdays ago and was waiting to order some meat when I overheard the butcher chatting to a girl of about my age. I heard her saying she'd studied Hispanic Studies. Well it had been forever since I'd heard someone say that, so I introduced myself. We met yesterday and it was so cool. I've not had anyone to practice with and we met for coffee in Kings Heath, at this really cool little cafe, the Kitchen Garden Cafe. It's such a gorgeous spot, you feel like you're in the countryside, not in the middle of Kings Heath and there's a really funky feel to it, kind of hippy, bohemian but cute at the same time. Food's nice too. Elena's half Spanish like me and half Greek too, and doing a Phd and learning japanese. We had tea, I scoffed a bagel, and talked for 2 hours until I realised that if I didn't hurry I'd get a parking fine. As I ran back to the car the fluorescent parking demons were hovering around my car but I think I got there in the nick of time. Phew. Then I can home (painted the fireplace), and headed off to Jean and Mike's. They live down the road from me and I see them in church most weeks. They have two little boys Samuel and Daniel (good old testament names). Samuel is 2ish and Daniel is about 6 months. They are both cute as buttons. Samuel reminds me of Jack from 2 years ago. Jean fed me tea and cake and then Samuel climbed all over me and measured me, giggled and generally messed around in that adorable, trusting, boyish way of his.
I walked home feeling very spoilt!

2 comments:

Lau said...

Well, good luck with all these job possibilities!!!!! Keep us posted!

;)

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

As someone who's worked in Admin for over ten years am not entirely sure how i feel about being a "happy little administrator with no money and no responsibility"

Admin jobs tend to be amongst the most poorly paid and poorly appreciated and once you get stuck in admin its often hard to get recognised and back on the career ladder - plus you may rue the day you say "no responsibility" when one of them cocks up your next salary! (he he he)

Still - all those interviews are a good sign.

PS: Don't forget that when the planet Golgafrincham got rid of all its middle-men (telephone sanitisers, admin staff, hairdressers etc) they were immediately devoured by a mutant stargoat due to the resulting clerical error.