Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Play's progress

Well we're now on 2 rehearsals a week and it's stepping up from dull and repetitive to having some soul and spirit. I was getting a bit bored but now I'm really getting into it again.
I've got a new phone that's a bit swankier than before so I'm taking photos and filming snippets of films during rehearsal. Tracey's back in rehearsals as she's props mistress and she's a real hoot, makes everything fun and a real motivator. As a result we're all having the odd giggle which makes rehearsing a serious play a lot more fun and manageable. We're rehearsing 8-10.30pm twice a week so it needs to be fun or we'd go starck staring bonkers.
There are so few weeks left and so few rehearsals left and it's getting very real now. I still have to finally decide what I'm wearing and how to do my hair... But my lines are starting to feel like my own at last. My character, Millie, is making sense to me and we're getting into a flow, me and Graham. Graham's great. One of the nicest chaps around. He's also got one of the most expressive faces I've ever known so I used to get so drawn into his lines that I'd forget to say my own! I've never known anything like it... listen to me going on!
If you want to see an excerpt of one of our rehearsals a few weeks ago then watch the clips below. I think we all breathed in giggle gas just prior to this rehearsal...
Finally a photo of Ed who normally doesn't look anything like this... and it wasn't even Halloween!

3 comments:

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

There's a famous story that Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson were in their dressing rooms getting ready to film the first scenes for Batman and Keaton, mostly a comic actor at that point, was agonising over how to portray the differences between Bruce and Batman and to get to the underlying pain of the character.

The story goes that Nicholson listened slightly impatiently for a while before lazily replying, "Just relax, say the words and let the suit do the acting"

Which films are you filming snippets of? Anything good?

Seriously though - repetition is part of the process of acting, but essential. Imagine doing a ten night run?

As Rowan Atkinson said of playing Fagin recently "the problem of keeping it fresh is that every night you have to go out and invent the wheel when you invented a perfectly good wheel the night before"

Still slightly bemused by a theatre company that allows its cast to chose their costumes...

Unknown said...

Hello Pixie. I think for the film links to work you have to have an Ovi account... annoying.
Repetition is fine but the rehearsals have been boring. There's a difference. It's livening up now though. With a 2 night performance there's no time to get bored of repeating performances... I wish! And as for the costumes the play is set in '97 and the director has final say. He's approved what I've chosen so far but I need to finalise a winning ensemble- last few bits to find.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read rehearsals are livening up and you have a few giggles!!and best of all that you feel you are "immersing" in your character. We are so much looking forward to seeing you next Saturday!!I can't wait!!!

Mumxxx