Thursday, October 22, 2009

Super-temp at Work

Super-temp at Work


I'm temping at Future Home Care which is a charitable agency caring for learning disabled adults, it helps them to gain a certain amount of independence and it's a bit of an insight into another industry I'd never worked in. Even though it has charitable roots the work is totally different to Leukaemia CARE; much more hands on, and it's a much bigger organisation.
From my perspective I sit at reception and do the switchboard, paperwork, write up incidence reports, meet and greet visitors, order stationary and generally try to keep the place shipshape. It's my 2nd day - yesterday was pretty busy but I'm into the swing of it now.
I wanted to show you my dead cool Janet Jackson headset which allows me to answer the phone without actually picking up the handset! I can even go and make a cup of tea in the kitchen and still answer the phone - not that I've dared do that much. Everyone is really nice here... I'm glad to be a receptionist for a week and a half and looking forward to starting at Ernst and Young in November. I may yet fit in another short term contract somewhere so who knows what I'll do next!!!
I don't miss Marketing at all and have really been having fun the last few weeks. Even the diy has picked up. I disassembled the wardrobe that was delivered at the weekend because it was too big to go through the door and reassembled it. What a palarva. I've just got to finish sanding and painting the staircase before the carpet is delivered and finish painting the dadorail (is that how you spell it?) in the living room. That plus job hunting and the rehearsals for the play have kept me very busy.

3 comments:

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

I think it's two seperate words - dado rail, but other than that correct - although i shan't say what i always call it :)

I wonder how they get those mikes to work for singers - we had one and all you could hear was the kind of heavy breathing you get from a with-held number caller late at night when the pubs have closed.

Just don't let them catch you practicing the dance routines

Unknown said...

you do make me laugh! Dance routines... Although, not a bad idea!

Anonymous said...

At last I read your blog, entertaining as usual.Of course, I'm up to date(I think!) with your busy life but it gives me such joy TO READ ABOUT IT and the other comments.Why or why I hadn't read it for weeks?

I had never even heard of Dado rail...
LOVE MUM