Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fame and stardom beckons...

Well, ever since I was a wee slip of a girl I wondered if I could act but pre-GCSE drama didn't inpire, the subject at GCSE was unavailable and at university all the drama students seemed a mixture of hellish luvvie and over confident limelight gogger. I got to do readings with Dad's groups but that's not really what I would have had in mind.

Then real life kicked in and that was that. The gilt edge opportunities that youth haphazardly throws your way began to wane and still I didn't pick up the confidence to give it a go. Mortgage and MOT's, jobs old and new, the wedding... and suddenly I feared I'd missed any chance.

When I was little I always thought I could be anything and as I couldn't decide it was probably best to keep my options open. I took subjects that didn't narrow my choices and put off making decisions. The irony is that all these years of not making decisions culminate in one big decision: not doing something because it turns out you were too scared all along.

It's a lot easier to be scared of something you've never done than something you're preparing for so this January I took the proverbial bull by the horns. After googling "amdram" (good old google) I found lots of amateur dramatic companies and groups in Birmingham, among them the Billesley Players. Established in the 1960's the Billesley Players will on thursday begin rehearsing a Noel Coward play and it has just accepted its newest fully paid up member... me!
The funniest part is that the play is set in Paris and I play Marie Celeste (good name), who speaks entirely in french! God help me... (I researched this it is: mon dieu aide moi)

The curtain opens in June at The Old Rep Theatre in Birmingham city centre, a theatre with a very proud history indeed. Even Noel Coward himself has trod thos very boards, also Laurence Oliver and Derek Jacobi.

Tiny Bit excited!

5 comments:

Aunty P said...

You go girl! Great news, ENJOY!

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

It's always great to know what shows i could go and see if only i had a handy TARDIs to nip back to 2007 when the website was last updated (to be honest if i had a handy time machine i'd be too busy climbing grassy knolls in Dallas in 1963 and yelling "Duck!" but there you go)

Still - all the best for your theatrical debut. I'd say break a leg, but i believe it's very painful - so would advise against it.

Seriously - a note from the wise: small background characters are always more fun because you have less lines to worry about and can just enjoy being there...however one should always play your part as if the play was written solely about your character - so the stage is no place for anyone other than lunatics and egomaniacs (with those just there for a laugh, clearly)

But be warned - the path to stardom is slippery and its only a short step from having the paparrazzi outside your door to constant invites to parties with Elton John (ten years now and he still hasn't got the message!)

Anonymous said...

Great to see words from Auntie P, Hi there!
I must say the one that ONE THAT DOESN'T FEED PIXIES speaks some words of wisdom...
I say you'll take to the stage like fish to water, I am as excited as you are!

mumxxx

Anonymous said...

Bonjours Marie-Celeste, ici c'est Sebastien (one of the other characters in the play).

We are really pleased to have you on board and I know you have the talent to shine. I agree with the comment about fewer lines to learn for small parts - I have just highlighted my lines and the book has turned green. I have to try out 6 languages (English bein the ardest).

My "serious" comment - the best plays are where all members of the cast work together and the egos are harnessed - the lunatics running the asylum as a co-operative!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.