Saturday, April 26, 2008

the ceremony and lunch

Getting down the aisle was a funny mix of feelings, but spoilt at the time a bit by the whole organist thing. Afterwards people said that the cd they played made it extra special. I always knew I'd love seeing all the family members and friends in the church and that really was truly special. I also knew I'd be fine once I got down to the front and stood with Alex. He didn't look back at me until I was half way down and by then I was feeling ok. He looked really happy, and very calm which helped me to calm my jitters and get on with enjoying it all. Laura came from spain and did the reading really well, she didn't look nervous at all. Pauline had done a brill job with the orders of service and it meant a lot that Jess had written the prayers, that Rob lead the prayers and Danielle and Laura Nathan and Emma were there at the front. Mum looked really happy and soppy at the same time so the position of mother of the bride was well and truly filled!

We signed the register and saw everyone out at the doorway, then we stood by the lychgate while people thre confetti. I think the church service was my absolute favourite part of the whole day. We sang Amazing Grace, my favourite hymn, without the assistance of the organist (who turned up a few minutes later) with Rob leading us, and it was fab! It was better than the songs we sang when the organist actually turned up.
The journey to the reception was fun to. Our lovely driver chatted away while she drove us but unfortunately she misread the satnav twice and so twice had to find a place to turn the big old Daimler around. Meanwhile family members trailing us in their cars had to find places to turn around. I'm just glad the coach didn't follow us!
Anyway... miraculously we all got to the Queens Head Inn, in fact our car still managed to beat the coach which was pulling in as we were allready getting out of the car. The sun had burned away the clouds and it was suddenly beautiful! We then tried to get the photos done as quickly and as painlessley as possible (I'll add these on once I've got them) and then it was time to mill around and get fed!
The Queen's Head Inn did us proud; the food was gorgeous. People with particular diets were all well looked after, everyone was comfortable, and the food was delish! And then the speeches, eek!

I think I was more nervous about speeches than I was about my exam results, taking my driving test for the third time or even getting married... The boys did well though. Dan and Nathan both carried off their speeches with aplomb and Alex made my heart melt. And then...
We could BREATHE!
It was the bit that was all about having fun! Yey! Me and Alex tried to get around as many people as possible but it's just not possible to see everyone... The evening guests arrived (we'd invited everyone to the church and we would have fed them all too but there wasn't room. In the end I'd guess there was about 200) and the music came on... Viva la fiesta!

At about 10pm wonderful wonderful Gianni, the manager, came to me and my bridesmaids with fluffy slippers, otherwise I really don't know... Finally at 1am we all piled on the coach and went home...
Only it wasn't finally actually. The coach dropped half of us off at the Green in Kings Norton where there were supposed to be taxis waiting but none were. As the beginnings of a snow blizzard fell we waited and it was the wirdest thing to be stood there in a big white wedding dress waiting for a cab in the snow! Alex called the taxi firm and more were sent over so we only waited 10 minutes but it was a very weird end to a day that's so full of memories that I don't think I can ever forget it.
Next week: the honeymoon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was indeed a marvellous day. I feel the proudest mum in the world!!!