Thursday, February 01, 2007

Non-medical nutrition

Since September, when I enrolled on a nutrition course at Bournville College, I've been studying for a diploma that could enable me (if I wanted to) to offer general nutrition advice and even to practise as a self employed nutritionist. As I've got into it I've realised that without further study this could be a minefield, I wouldn't feel right dispensing advice when any condition can require such a large amount of knowledge of contra indications, long term effects and loads and loads of tiny details. Yikes!
But anyway, it's been really interesting and it's something I could do something with in time. I've got to hand in all my work next tuesday - I've done a big folder full of work so I've got my fingers crossed... BioCare gives its employees £250 quid as well which paid for this course in the majority, I think I only forked out £20-30 quid in the end. So I couldn't have afforded to do it without that so I'm really pleased.
But it'll be soooo GREAT to get my tuesday nights back! Just got to finish my folder over the next few days and turn up to the party! That's right, our last lesson is our party, and I'm cooking cookies using F.O.S. (Fructo oligo saccharides), which is a probiotic base and also sometimes used as an alternative to sugar as its a bit sweet but does not require insulin to be turned into fuel. Anyway, I'm trying it out on my nutrition class and if they're any good I'll do a big batch for the Brighton exhibition where we'll also serve healthy probiotic smoothies.
Other than that I've got loads of research on for the Restoration project that I haven't done too much about so the sooner I finish this nutrition thing I can get on with that!
I was thinking it might be nice to run a Kings Norton magazine from the new Saracen's Head, when it's restored. Kings Norton is a huge area but it's split into smaller areas - as such I live in Kings Norton but don't receive the Kings Norton magazine or the 3 Estates magazine, but somehow I do receive a Druids Heath community paper... I thought it might be good to do something that goes out to everyone in the area. There are loads of small businesses and loads of news that never makes it into the Birmingham Mail, and a similar publication in Bournville seems to do quite well... next project!
Last weekend on Friday night I went to see Hannah in Wolverhampton. Such fun! We entertained her two boys for a few hours while Rossa got home and got a curry, then we went out all dressed up and hit the town! It's not often that I have a girlie night out and we were both very much up for it! We went to a tapas cafeteria for a cheap munch then went to the Little Civic bar and then to the Civic Hall for their "Cheeky Monkey" night. Danced til about 1ish and hobbled home in time honoured tradition! The next day I fed baby Oscar who has the widest eyes ever, so gorgeous! I've never fed a baby before, Hannah made the most of me being around though and sat back. Me and Oscar made quite a team and got through a whole bowl of food with minimal mess!
When I got back and after many many chores, me and Laura went to Emma's for a girls night in. We watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the best film so far, and eat much much food! A good night was had by all..!

4 comments:

Lau said...

Oh, that is so cool... you'll have to give me some nutrition advice, honey!

Un besote enoooorme
Lau

Unknown said...

I passed I think! On tuesday Annette, our teacher, said she thought I had. So I'm dead pleased. It's a really interesting subject, and it affects me, my friends, my family, everyone, and that means in theory at least I can help everyone. If they want it, that is! If you want nutritional advice I'm more than happy to help.

Rob said...

Hi Gemandal,

I was thinking about and considering doing that course that you have done in nutrition.

I have enquired last week and am quite a few weeks late,but Anette the lady i spoke to said if i dont mind catching up on what i have missed then i could more or less join in the group.

Being someone myself who has always lived a healthy lifestyle through exercise etc,i have always been keen on knowing more about
nutrition, and being able to have the knowledge and to advise people as well is a bonus.

Jus wanted to know what the work load is like cus i know its a part-time course.I also study full time but have some free time which will enable me to do this course, and jus your general outlook on the course.

It would be much appreciated.

Rob

Unknown said...

Hi Rob
The course is v good and Annette is lovely - she's extremely experienced so I'd take her advice but from what I remember the work load wasn't horrific. The course work is perfectly manageable, I did it while working full time, and it is really interesting and very much something you can apply to your daily life. You should do it! PS the class is especially good when everyone contributes so don't be scared to shout out. Say hi to Annette from me
Gemma