Thursday, June 01, 2006

Lady of leisure

This past week has been great!
I have been busy but lazy simultaneously. The big plus has been a free pass for the Livingwell gym in Solihull which I got from Rowena on my last day at Bright. It's meant I've been swimming and I've relaxed in the sauna, jacuzzi and steam room and I've had a go at a couple of classes. I wish I could afford a similar level of luxury on a more long term basis, but hey ho it's been great for a week! Last session will be tomorrow, sob. I'm planning to get there early to make the most of it.

Today I spent some time with my dad, which was lovely. We went to Baginton in Coventry to search for an Anglo Saxon burial ground, as you do. Bless him, we clambered over grassy banks, unsuccessfully attempted to scale tall fences, and walked around avoiding stinging nettles and the like. We found the land we think the burial ground was located, and it is quite exciting as dad thinks it may pre-date Anglo Saxon times and have been originally established by Celts...

On a similar historical note, a piece of news caught my attention recently on the BBC. "The burial ground of Queen Boudicca could be next to a burger restaurant in Birmingham, it has been claimed. An excavation is to take place at the site in Kings Norton after evidence it has Roman remains buried there." So as well as being the site of our church restoration project it is possible the Queen of the Iceni fought here against the Romans too!

I can almost feel your excitement...

Next week I start my new job at BioCare. I'm very excited!

La semana que viene empiezo mi nuevo trabajo, y tengo nervios pero tambien quiero empezar ya! Esta semana lo he pasado muy de calma pero tambien haciendo muchas tareas pequenas. He ido a un gimnasio unos veces y he usado la sauna y la piscina etc, y con mucho gusto, pues en mi ultimo dia de Bright mi companera me di un pass gratis para un gimnasio de lujo, donde tienes que ser parte del club. Te dan toallas y todo es limpio y bonito, no como la piscina municipal tonde suelo ir! Pues me gustaria ir a uno de estos gimnasios de lujo pero no tengo el dinerillo asi que esta semana ha sido un gran lujo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Gemma, for your happy company on Thursday.
May I just say that the information that the Anglo-Saxon Cemetary at Baginton "probably contains Celtic bodies" came to me from the Warwick County Archive, following a "Meet The Ancestors" prog by Julian Richards.

We had a lovely time. See you again soon.
Love, Tad.

Luis said...

Siento que se terminara esa semana de relax, jejejeje... ^_^

Mucha suerte en esta semana que empieza.

Besitos
Lau