Thursday, December 23, 2010

Then suddenly it's Christmas; Y ahora Navidad

So Christmassy it's untrue!
I went along with Laura, Emma, auntie Vanessa and granny Gill and grandad Richard to the Dudley Canal Trust's Christmas event to see a mini panto of Cinderella. We got to go on a barge through the tunnels to see Cinders, Buttons Griselda and finally Santa himself. And warmed back up again with a cuppa and a mince pie. Needless to say Emma had a ball!
The Collins Family
Look at that!
Then I drove to Coventry to see my mum in her choir's Christmas concert. She's in One Voice which does a mixture of lively and quiet international songs and carols. They sing Polish, German, French, South African, Gospel and just about any song from anywhere in the original language. The concert was very good, as ever, and itwas heart-warming to see mum singing her heart out. There is something really great about singing in a choir - maybe in a few years I'll go back to it because it is a joyous sensation. So here they are in action. Many people will not associate the words 'a shrinking violet' with my mother but due to her short stature and her unwillingness to stand on the front row for more than 5 minutes it was blinking difficult to get any decent footage.

And then the flu came. It was faily inescapable that after everyone in the office and also Alex got the killer bug that I would get it too. For over a week now I've been pathetic; coughing lots and generally sounding a bit like the devil. But I'm recovering, and just in time too because...

It's Christmas!
So excited... I'm getting better, all cosy and warm and the snow outside is making the world very pretty. I'm sorry. I know everyone's having a really tough time because the car won't start; their plane's been cancelled and that evil snow is making them put on 50 layers of clothing each time they need to leave the house but for me it's not been so bad. The buses carried on regardless (thank you Travel West Midlands); the streets were not completely full of annoying people because they'd all stayed at home; I've not had to face a full-on shop at Sainsbury's because we can't drive there; and a few days ago I had the first snowball fight that I can remember having (except when I got pelted in the face by Alan Cartwright at school in about the 3rd year, thank you Alan).
The tree

The hearth

el pesebre

Pads blending in

On Saturday Emma came over to help me make choc chip cookies as a Christmas present for Claire. It was the heaviest snowfall yet and instead of going on to the shops Nath and Laura ended up staying while we made our cookies. Almost 12 hours later they went home. We had the best day! Even in my flu-riddled state I enjoyed the day. We made the cookies obviously; me and Emma played lots of hide and seek, chase the cat and jump on the bed (her 3 favourite games); had dinner; watched a film; played ten pin bowling; and Alex rugby tackled me to the ground mid-snow fight. It was the best day snowed in ever!
Me and Emma mid-fight
 The only inconenience was not being able to get the car out of the drive for a few days, even despite a push from our neighbour Paddy. This could potentially put an end to our hopes for a Christmas in Coventry with my parents so watch this space...
Trying in vain to get the car out

Walking to Al's parents


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record. The name of the choir in which I sing is WORLDSONG.Everything else you say about it, singing in all those different languages,is quite right.
Messy photo, though.....

Mumxx