Saturday, September 18, 2010

Summer holiday

It was a couple of weeks later that we headed off for a very long overdue holiday. Chicken soup for the soul. We were so knacked that I felt we were virtually dragging our feet through life and it was a real relief to get away.

Click here to see holiday photos

We spent the first 5 days in Cubelles and the last 4 in Barcelona, flying in and out of Reus airport (otherwise known as the chicken coop). We are lucky enough to stay in Cubelles thanks to the generosity of my tiets, my uncle Ramón and aunt Teresa in Igualada, Catalunya, about 2 hours away.

We love the place. It has almost no Brits, not a single translated menu, everything is in Catalan first, it's quiet, peaceful, family friendly and basically everyone in every direction is chilled out and happy. I've never once seen a policeman, or a fight, or a disturbance, or any kind of semi-impolite behaviour (except the old ladies who don't wait to be served in the queue for fresh bread at the bakery - but then that hardly counts). The kids are all out with their parents and family friends and uncles and aunts, and like I was 20 years ago they're just excited about the prospect of being allowed to stay up late and get an icecream after dinner.

We spent every day on the beach, Alex under his two parasols, the biggest variety being varying the time we spent on the beach. One day it was the afternoon, another day it was the morning and afternoon with a siesta back at the flat in between, another time it was all day with a packed lunch on the beach... The biggest difficulty of each day consisted in deciding which beach accessory to take and who would carry the cool bag. Life slowed down to Cubelles pace... just thinking about it makes me happy.
On the beach

We wandered across the river to discover a whole new section of the town that can only have been built in the last few years. Thank God the authorities are keeping to their original rule - no more than 4 storeys. One day as we walked along the new Paseo at around 8pm there was a table of yound girls, around 11, selling home made bracelets. Alex bought me one for a euro and the girls were so excited (they were only asking for 35 cents each) that we got an excited cheer as we walked away. They were so sweet! Points for being motivated enough to get together too, I hope they sold lots more.

Basically, we eat like kings, slept peacefully (even though Alex's feet hang off the end of the short bed) and felt fully relaxed by the time we arrived in Barcelona.

I was particularly excited to stay in Barcelona because I had never stayed in the city before, and even though I'd seen it on endless day trips I didn't really understand the geography of the city. Alex had his reservations but was willing to have a few days there and try it out. He wasn't sure he'd like it as much as Madrid. It's true, our visit to Madrid had been difficult to beat. We had enjoyed Amsterdam but not as much as the Spanish capital and even I had mu doubts. I'm happy to report it was ACE!

We had a wonderful time walking round, exploring the Barri Gotic, la Rivera, la Ciutat Vella. Neus and Edu came to visit us andgave us a guided tour and we also went for a drink and a meal together. It was fantastic to see them. And then Gemma P and husband Fran also popped in to say hello.
Edu Neus me and Alex
Fran Gemma me and Alex


The photos taken of us are taken on the hotel's roof - we had a bar and a swimming pool. I was a very happy girl. I must say I tried to make the most of it. I spent a few hours on a couple of afternoons sat by the pool danging my legs in the water and reading a book. I read 4 books in 9 days; Sense and Sensibility, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I loved it!

Tinc que dir les gracies per les esforços de la meva familia, L'Edu i la Neus, La Gemma i Fran, i sobretot els meus tiets amats per ajudeu-nos tenir unes vacances moltíssim relaxants i feliços. Van ser estupendes. L'Alex i jo estem sempre pensant dels nostres vacances catalans i sempre tenim anims per un altra cop! Cada any que tenim que decidir-nos on anar ens encontrem sense poder pensar d'un altra destinació on estarem tan felices. Es com estar a casa un altre vegada, i jo sempre tindre la sensació de ser una catalana, encara si es una Catalana sense manera de parlar catalan...

Van ser vacances estupendes - They were wonderful holidays!

3 comments:

HLM Proops said...

Most jealous. Four books in nine days sounds like my idea of paradise! We're sooooo in need of a holiday. Thanks for the postcard, a very nice surprise!
xx

Unknown said...

It was bliss Hez, truly, don't get as much chance to read books nowadays, I've usually got one on the go but it was delicious to just focus... So glad you're a blogger too!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful effort with your written Catalan, PROUD OF YOU

Mum

Espero que la familia catalana disfruti llegint a la Gemma.