Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Christian Aid Week

Last weekend was such a busy one that I haven't had a chance to write about it until now. There are a couple of photos but I'll add them later.

On Saturday there was an Annual General Meeting for the Friends Restoration group. They ran through the historical discoveries made at the sites, some future plans and the progress made so far, such as the approved planning permission. The project will cost £4.7million and it'll be amazing when it's finished. The voted in the newly nominated council members and then they raised a proposal to add an extra non-executive member to the council: me! The move was approved and I was voted in. Rather embarrasingly Rob made me stand up and say hello! It was noted that my presence also lowered the average age by about 20 years! Anyway, it was an interesting meeting.


Then I moved on the the Saracen's head for the Christian Aid celebrations. My parents had come over to see what it was all about and it was lovely to spend the time together being busy and entertained! Mum and I took part in a singing workshop, led by a lovely soprano from Birmingham Conservatoire called Alice Wratten. She has a delicious voice, so when she's rich and famous, remember you heard about her here first! She gives singing lessons and I'm thinking of having a go, she's Jess's teacher and as well as being loads of fun she made me look at singing with fresh eyes and kept the lesson light and easy.

We had cake and tea at the coffee shop, then listened to a band, then the evening's entertainments began. A speaker from Christian Aid came and gave 3 entertaining and short talks about the work of the charity Christian aid. His name was Pete, I forget his surname.

I read 2 peoms by Cuban poet Nancy Morejon, Pogolotti and Black woman, in Spanish and English. I was assured by mum that while I don't write spanish that well I do read it ok, phew!

Jess and Karen also read poems and Rob led some singing and a poem, then me Jess and Alice got up to sing an impromtu version of the Jewish folksong we'd learned at the workshop:

"Shalom, shalom, may be peace be with you
Through all your days
Through all your days
May peace be with you, shalom, shalom."

Finally there was an absolutely fantastic band on, who'd supported Oxfam and G8 and the like. Katlama is great! The guitarrist lead Gary Williams (pictured) was to die for, their songs are fantastic, if you ever get a chance to see them, go!!! They are very colourful but because it was dark mu photos don't show them in full colour, but I downloaded the picture of Gary from the internet to give you an idea...!













Next day Alex made us the best fried brekkie ever, with all the trimmings before going over to Nathan and Laura's. We played with Emma most of the day and relaxed, it was lovely. Then Laura served us a roast beef sunday lunch. She'd made her own yorkshire puds and they had risen loads! And we had 3 each!!! Yum!
Really cool. Then me and Laura stayed behind while the boys went back to ours to play playstation and after an hour we followed, taking a lengthy scenic route along the canals so that Emma could see the ducks! It was a good long walk, bit out of puff by the end!

Last update, I have a new picture of Ruth and Phil's baby. I can reveal it is a boy!

No comments: